20.5.08

How to fix a failed initramfs update with do-release-upgrade

(All my regular readers could probably ignore this post; it's here to present newly learned information to the interwebs)

I was recently upgrading my Ubuntu 7.10 server to 8.04 using do-release-upgrade.  Everything was going fine until it spewed this unsightly verbage:

Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-server dpkg: subprocess post-installation script killed by signal (Interrupt)  Could not install the upgrades  The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a).  Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport. E:Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (2)  Setting up initramfs-tools (0.85eubuntu36) ... update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)  Processing triggers for initramfs-tools ... update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.24-16-server ^[[13~ Could not install the upgrades  The upgrade aborts now. Your system could be in an unusable state. A recovery will run now (dpkg --configure -a).  Please report this bug against the 'update-manager' package and include the files in /var/log/dist-upgrade/ in the bugreport. installArchives() failed

Pretty, eh?  Well, I hunted all over the wide wide interwebs and asked around in ##linux, #ubuntu, and #debian on FreeNode.  No one really knew; the best advice I got was to format and reinstall--not something I felt like doing at the time.  I finally found the solution browsing a page not even related to it: run update-initramfs -u

That's it.  I checked (and double and triple-checked) to see if anything else seemed broken, but it didn't.  Rebooted, and ended up running 8.04, just as pretty as you please. 

6 comments:

Matt said...

That post was targeted to a very specific audience!

I didn't realize you were running Ubuntu on your webserver. I'm probably going to try out the 64-bit version of Ubuntu with a dual-boot setup on the computer I'm building.

Mercedes said...

Haha, yeah, I knew it flew over the head of 100% of my regular readers (all, what 3? =]).

I really like Ubuntu on my webserver. I've gotten addicted to the Linux commandline, which can do everything administrative; whereas in Windows sometimes you have to use a gui. Gui is nice, but when you want to work quick, a CLI is imperative. Anyhow, good luck with getting Ubuntu running.

If you want their free pressed CD's, I'd order now if you want one by the time your machine's ready. I got an ETA of like 10 weeks IIRC. =[

itiknila said...

I'm one of your specific reader.
Thanks for that.. apt-get was really stuck for me. I was about to do a fresh reinstall.
Thanks

Mercedes said...

Hey--no problem. Glad someone out there found my blog and was actually able to make use of something on it!

Anonymous said...

Thank you

Rufus V. Smith said...

Thanks for the post, I think you got me going on the right direction to fix mine.

I just had to (in ubuntu) reboot in another kernel and type:
sudo update-initramfs -u -k 2.6.32-24-generic

for my version, and reboot!