29.12.08

Pay-as-you-go PCs?

This strikes me as one of the stupidest ideas Microsoft has come up
with yet:

http://www.engadget.com/2008/12/29/microsoft-patent-application-hints-at-pay-as-you-go-pcs/

I guess this could be OK for my grandma, who just does email and a bit
of web surfing. But for anyone who seriously uses their PC, it's a
total waste of money. Microsoft admits this in their application, but
says that the upgraded hardware should make up for it. I did the
numbers: if I used my PC 5 hours a day, 365 days a year for three
years, I'd pay about $6500. Considering that the lifetime of a $6500
machine should be at least 3 years, there is no reason to opt for this
new plan. And it makes my $1000 Macbook a steal.

The only interesting thing would be hacking it to run at full power.
Maybe under Linux. And that would be 'illegal'.

Sorry Microsoft, but I don't see it coming anytime soon. Glad to see
that it was you who was responsible for this...

No comments: